By Linwood Wickett

By Linwood Wickett

Monday, March 5, 2012

Persistent Squirrel


It is difficult to constantly monitor the birdfeeder, which is about 4 feet outside our family room window. While we are not looking, the doves swoop in, and the starlings arrive in swarms, stealing the birdseed away from our friends, the bluebirds, cardinals, finches, and chickadees. But the doves and starlings scurry out of there when we open the window and clap our hands. However, there is one persistent red squirrel that is not so skittish. I have opened the window, asked him/her to leave, snapped my fingers and accused the squirrel of being a thief. I even told it that Nancy will come and chase it away. All of those tactics were to no avail and the little furry varmint only leaves on its own terms. So the other day (and today), I tried to wave at the critter with a short stick. I was ignored. Then I pulled out the dust mop for a better reach with the handle. I was ignored again. I even nudged it and tickled it on the back with the makeshift hanging string. Other than the need to buy more birdseed than normal, the little creature has provided some winter entertainment. As it would be hard for some to imagine, I have included 2 photos. The first was the squirrel watching the mop handle approaching, and the second was it ignoring me and returning to eating the birdseed.





Always keep a camera handy,
Linwood “Lin” Wickett
The Blank Stare
(Low-level photography humor)

No comments:

Post a Comment