By Linwood Wickett

By Linwood Wickett

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Who is this Nut, Linwood Wickett?

About…
Who is this nut, Linwood Wickett?

Since there is no “About” tab on The Blank Stare blog site, it is probably a good time to explain the culprit instigating this low level humor photography blog, and (sort of) set the record straight. Jim Dricker, a remote Georgia member of our Photo Group in Portsmouth, NH, asked me to send along my silly photo stories for new blog postings. So, first let me list his link and his introductory comments.

http://jhdricker.blogspot.com/

Jim’s blog is a more useful and serious format and has a link to his great galleries and website.

Here is Jim’s introduction…

”I recently urged a friend to start blogging the e-mails he periodically sends out to fellow photographers who attend monthly meetings at the New Hampshire Art Association. His name is Linwood Wickett and he has the kind of humor that's come to be associated with native born residents of the state of Maine. I think it's called Yankee Humor. Lin is self-effacing and master of the understatement.

Lin's response to my suggestion was, "What's a blog?" Now, this guy is no fool. He surfs the internet for what he calls "bahgins" and knows how to put out e-mails to groups. Plus, he's a retired airline pilot who once crash landed a fighter jet on a sandy beach. He just likes to be considered unsophisticated and new to the ways of the world. And he enjoys pulling other people's legs.”

For the record:

I inherited my sense of humor from my late Mom and Dad, especially Dad, who found humor in many things others failed to see. So, likewise, I leave some others moaning and groaning with a curious look on their faces, or otherwise rolling their eyes in pity.

But I digress. Regarding the crash landing story from Jim, it was a mix-up of two newspaper stories I was telling him about after a photo meeting at the Rusty Hammer, a not so fast-food place for slow evenings in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The first was in regard to the picture in my Wickett Family Scrapbook with the front-page Bangor Daily News story about the crash landing of my fighter jet on the runway at Bangor, Maine. The second was about me being chased by a huge dog on South Beach in Miami, and tripping beside a young lady who happened to be a reporter. I swear I maintained eye contact at all times! She reported, “Pilot crashes on South Beach after being chased by a Chihuahua.” (A Chihuahua is a big dog, isn’t it?)
Jim got the two stories mixed when he was distracted the blonde waitress who caringly flashed her eyes and asked him for his order. I swear that both of us maintained eye contact with her at all times! A picture of the jet crash is attached at the end. (Yes, I survived the 1973 crash!)

As for my photography, I have accumulated boxes of cameras, equipment and photos over the years. My photo interests are varied, depending on the mood and circumstances in which I find myself. I am a juried member of the New Hampshire Art Association and been involved with photo exhibitions and photography projects in the NH area. I enjoy photo history and digital photo restoration. As this blog is already lengthy, I will stop here.

If you dig deep from time to time, you may find a useful piece of information.
Attached photo is courtesy of The Bangor Daily News.

Best regards
Linwood “Lin” Wickett
The Blank Stare
 
 

1 comment: